8.10.18

S 400


This is the description of the boat that has not (yet) been built, but intrigues my mind a lot lately. It is partially the reason to write this blog. At this point of my life I can't find the time or place to build it and to use it. So, this blog can make it a little bit more alive. Its a small and simple sailing dinghy like many other, but it should fulfill many requirements:
- relatively easy to build: classic stitch and glue, flat bottom towards the stern, two chines per side, simple deck and equipment
- beautiful to look: elegant and simple, plywood left varnished on some critical spots, a good compromise between fancy wood look and easy maintenance
- lightweight: the composite plywood construction is lightweight per se. I would use 5 or 6 mm thick plywood. I suppose I could build it to weight about 50 kg. This is very important for performance, but also for practical manipulation ashore, without too much help from other helpers.
- easy to move on the shore: I had bigger boats. Everyone would be glad to help you to pull it to the trailer or turn it over for maintenance for the first time. Every next time the enthusiasm about the help with your passion will decrease. So it is important to be able to do the manipulations on your own.
- allow oar and outboard propulsion: sometimes the wind dies, and you have to get ashore in time. Or it can be used to reach faster a distant, desert beach with some passengers. Or to reach a distant fishing spot when there is no wind.
- can be sailed alone, but also take a passenger or two. Often I do not find the company for my sailing excursions. But it is a great joy to share the passion of sailing with some crew or passengers
- can be used for fishing: smaller, sportier dinghies do not have enough space to carry fishing gear. And the fish:-)
Somehow it is a compromise between the smaller and the bigger boats I owned, each with its limitations. Hopefully, this one would overcome this limitations and replace both.
The boat is just under 4 m long and 1.56 cm wide. I have the basic drawings, from which I would be able to build it. If many people would express interest, I could develop a more detailed set of drawings.
Here are some drawings and presentations:





No comments:

Post a Comment