2.10.18

S 500 - Mića



This is the story of the first sailboat I built. It was in the 2004 when I was a mechanical engineering student. At the time, small sporty boats were in my dreams, like the Open 5.70 by Jean Marie Finot or the Speedfeet 18 by Marc Lombard. This wonderful little sportboats were, of course, out of my reach with their price of about 20000 Euro. But I could not stop dreaming and I was searching the boatbuilding forums and blogs. Then I found the pages of Cantierino, the italian DIY boatbuilding site with lots of amateur builder experiences. I found the software Carene, with which it's easy to design a simple plywood hull for the stitch and glue method. I found Spray store – an online shop which had Epoxy resin, glass fibers, and other boatbuilding materials.
The building site is always a problem. I could not find an empty, dry and warm place to build my boat. I had a friend who lived with his parents and they had a big, empty ground floor. I talked to him, and they allowed me to use it for few months. I prepared some drawings with Autocad. Before the start I talked to a friend who was a naval architecture student and to his father who was an experienced boatbuilder and sailor. They did some calculations, gave me few suggestions and said that the plans were OK.
I ordered the materials and bought some plywood by the local store and the building adventure could start. I bought 9 peaces of 8 mm thick okume (marine grade) plywood of the dimensions of 2,5 x 1,7 m. I transported them on the roof of my Renault 4 to my “shipyard”.
First I transferred the lines from the plans to the plywood. Then I cut the parts with the jigsaw. I glued the long hull parts with an overlapping joint. I glued wooden strips along the borders of the bulkheads. I built a simple V-stand to support the bottom. I stitched the sides of the bottom and glued them together. After it, I proceeded with the vertical elements. The internal volumes are covered with resin and protected with paint before closing them. The outside was completely laminated with resin impregnated glass fabric. In the end the hull was painted for aesthetic and protective reasons.
I cant find the original drawings any more, but the dimensions were 4.85 m length with a width of 2.16 m. I named it Mića, which means "little" in the local dialect. I turned it over with the help of some friends. A text about it can be found on the Cantierino pages here: http://www.cantierino.it/Aesperienze/Mica/Micia.html. For the hull it took me about 250 hours. Afterward, I bought a used mast of a 470 dinghy and an old set of sails. I bought also an old trailer and a used Mercury 3.3 outboard engine. It took me some more time to build the centerboard, the rudder and to put all together.
Overall it was an extraordinary experience which I would repeat. And I did. I will describe also the other building experiences in some next posts.
The sequence of building is presented in the following pictures.
















No comments:

Post a Comment